A day in the life and home of a child in an informal settlement

I get woken up by my brother every day even on weekends. When I go down stairs there is nothing in the first cupboard or the second cupboard but then there is no food in the third cupboard. We have three cupboards even though we have almost no food. My stomach is empty but I have to go to school. When I got to school I was really hungry I could not concentrate. At break I almost passed out from hunger.  

When I got home there was some food in the cupboard then I went to soccer there is a small soccer club in the village they made the goals from pieces of wood and plastic. After soccer when I came home I needed the bathroom aka the long drop toilet. Then I went to play with the rest of the boys. In the rubbish I know it is dangerous but we still do it. Then we walk around the village and we look at the other shacks there is one person in the street that has an EKYA that has a vertical vegetable garden we get some food from there. We would like a EKYA but we can’t afford it. The EKYAs are fire proof and have a underground water tank.

When I got home for dinner there was only a bit of food in the cupboard but at least there was some. Last night I went to sleep hungry. When I went to sleep I was already hungry and so this will happen tomorrow. It would be much better if we had more food and more toilets but unfortunately we don’t. There should also be more farms to make more food. And higher budget in schools so we can have less people in a class and more teachers. And more budget for the soccer club. But the schools need more stationary and they should get a library. But mainly we should get running water in our houses and toilets that can flush because the toilets can’t flush disease can spread easily because the houses are close to each other.

Comments

Popular Posts